The area of McCornick was a station on the Delta/Fillmore branch of the Los Angeles and Salt Lake Railroad. It was located 22 miles north of Fillmore. The first settlers arrived in 1919, breaking ground, digging wells, and planting crops. The farms were about a mile apart. The settlers were truly pioneers. At one time there were 40 homes in the area, but a diminishing water supply caused many of them to leave. The school at McCornick was started in 1919, but by 1929 there were only enough children left for two teachers. By the end of the year, the school was closed and the building was moved to Flowell. The people who lived in McCornick during its short history felt that they had benefitted by living in the small rural community.
Lat: 39.209693 Long: -112.409211