In 1859 cattlemen from Texas drove approximately 1,000 cows near the area where the town of Deseret now stands. The men built a dam along the Sevier River and began to settle land covered with greasewood, rabbit brush, sagebrush and marshlands.
Mormon settlers arrived in 1860 and made their homes in crude dugouts along the river. The dugouts consisted of a willow roof covered with dirt, which provided shelter. Jacob Croft, the leader of the colony, named the newly formed settlement Deseret, which means industry.
The area was a favorite rendezvous for the Pahvant Indians who camped along the river. The Black Hawk War started in 1865 after Chief Black Hawk made a raid on a Sanpete settlement. Some cattle were stolen from Deseret, and nearby settlers hastily build a defensive structure, called Fort Deseret.
Despite repeated attempts, the dam they built would not hold, and by 1868 most of the families had left except for a few stockmen who came to winter their cattle. In 1874, a company of non-Mormon men from the Tintic Mining District near Eureka arrived. The following year, a second group of Mormon settlers came to the area. The non-Mormons claimed the land around the old town site, while the new arrivals moved to the current site of Deseret. The farming community is located 5 miles west of Delta.
Lat: 39.286781 Long: -112.652764 - Deseret
Lat: 39.294156 Long: -112.627014 - Oasis